DIARY: Arrived at Moudros and dropped anchor alongside Biarritz at 9AM
Moudros harbour is a superb location for a port and was very important in the Gallipoli Campaign of 1915.
The harbour in WW1:
HMS Biarritz was built in 1914 as a passenger ferry. She was requisitioned by the Royal Navy to serve as an Auxiliary Minesweeper. Around the Mediterranean Sea and the Dardanelles she laid 5,673 mines. After WWI she returned to her original purpose, only to be requisitioned again at the start of WWII. She was used as a troop ship and took part in the D+2-Day landings on 8 June 1944. Finally she was sold for scrap in 1949.
This is a picture of HMS Biarritz leaving Moudros harbour: